Frequently Asked Questions
About the OJT Program
What is OJT?
OJT provides reimbursements to employers to help compensate for the costs associated with skills upgrade training and the loss of production for newly hired employees. OJT training can assist employers who are looking to expand their business and who need additional staff trained with specialized skills. OJT employers may receive up to 50% or even 75% of the wage rate of OJT trainees to help defray personnel training costs.
How will the OJT Program benefit my company? OJT will...
- provide your company with access to a pool of pre-screened applicants for your position — you decide who to hire!
- offer your company a great opportunity to hire employees who are eager to learn new skills, plus upgrade the skills of your current workforce.
- provide your company with reimbursement for the costs associated with training new employees — which are usually calculated at up to half the pay rate for the agreed-upon training period.
- include prompt payments with a minimum of paperwork.
- provide staff to assist you and your company through all phases of the program.
Are there any restrictions?
Yes, there are. For example:
- You may not use OJT funded trainees to replace employees laid off within six months prior to the date of your application.
- You must agree to hire any OJT trainees as regular, full-time employees.
- The rate of pay and benefits must be commensurate with what you pay others doing similar work.
- Training cannot be provided for seasonal and/or part-time employment, commission jobs, sectarian or political activities, nor duties previously performed by persons with reduced work hours, or terminated in anticipation of receiving WIOA funds.
How may I determine if my company is eligible to participate in the OJT Program?
- Submit our initial Pre-Award Survey Form, which also explains some of the basic requirements.
>> Download and submit our Pre-Award Survey Form (MS Word File, 165 KB)
>> Download MS Word.
- If you need assistance completing the form or have additional questions, our Business Services Representative will be more than happy to assist you in determining your company’s eligibility.
Can I rehire one of my previously released or "laid-off" employees?
- Yes, a business can re-hire a previous employee, but it must be for a different position for which the employee would need training.
- In addition, the candidate must meet eligibility requirements.
Who selects the OJT trainees?
As the OJT employer, your company will determine the selection criteria for OJT trainees (e.g., “greater than 8th grade math ability,” “English-Spanish bilingual ability,” or any other applicable criteria).
Next, Man-Tra-Con staff will identify from our client pool those candidates who meet your criteria, and will refer those candidates to your company.
You will choose the final selection of OJT trainees.
How do we get the process started?
- To begin, simply download and complete our Job Order Form (see document link listed below). Include any details for the position you need to fill. Next, contact a Man-Tra-Con OJT representative to place the job order.
- Download and complete our Job Order Form (MS Word format, 220KB).
- >> Download MS Word.
Overview of the OJT process:
- Interview applicants and choose who YOU want to hire.
- Once the decision is made to hire your employee and before they start work, contact Man-Tra-Con.
- A standard OJT contract will be completed with your company. That contract will contain all of the terms of agreement for both Man-Tra-Con and your company.
- Remember, an OJT contract cannot be written after the employee has already started working for you!
How long will the process take to get the OJT approved?
The entire process should not take much longer than time spent hiring a non-OJT employee.
To ensure that your needs are properly met, the process of writing and negotiating the contract, plus establishing a training plan for each individual may take up to a few weeks.